according to fable, may be obtained in a multitude of ways. For
called Tarnkappe (3 syl.), which Siegfried got possession of,
rendered him invisible. (Nibelungen Lied.)
A chamelon carried in the breast will render a person
A capon stone, called “Alectoria,” will render any person
invisible who carries it about his person. (See Mirror Of
A dead hand. It is believed that a candle placed in a dead
man's hand gives no light to any but those who use it. (See Hand.)
mentioned by Shakespeare, and by Beaumont and Fletcher, possesses
the same charm. Gyges' ring, taken from the flanks of a brazen
horse, made the wearer invisible, provided he turned the ring inwards.
mentioned by Boccaccio in his Decameron (Day viii. 3), is a
green stone, which renders a person invisible. So does the herb called
heliotrope, according to Solinus, who says, “Herba etiam ejusdem
nominis ... cum, a quocumque gestabitur, subtrahit visibus obviorm.” (Georgic, xl.)
The helmet of Perseus (2 syl.) and the helmet of Pluto
(called Orci Galea) both rendered the wearer invisible. (Classic story.)
The helmet which Pluto gave to the Cyclops made them
invisible whenever it was worn.
Jack the Giant-killer
had a cloak of invisibility as well as a cap of knowledge.
Keplein's mantle. The mantle of Hel Keplein, which belonged to the
dwarf-king Laurin, rendered the wearer invisible. (The Heldenbuch; thirteenth century.)
The Moros Musphoron was a girdle of invisibility. (Mrs. Centlivre: A Bold Stroke for a Wife.
Otnit's ring. The ring of Otnit, King of Lombardy, according to the Heldenbuch, possessed a similar charm. Reynard's wonderful ring had three colours, one of which (the green) caused the wearer to become
invisible. (Reynard the Fox, 1498.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Invisibility from Fact Monster:
- Arthur and the Invisibles - Starring Freddie Highmore, Mia Farrow, Penny Balfour, Doug Rand, Adam LeFevre
- Science Projects: Making Invisible Ink - Science Projects Making Invisible Ink Science Projects Just for the Fun of It! Making Invisible Ink ...
- Supply, Demand, and the Invisible Hand: Introduction - Supply, Demand, and the Invisible Hand Introduction Supply, Demand, and the Invisible Hand ...
- Supply, Demand, and the Invisible Hand: Back to the Curve - Supply, Demand, and the Invisible Hand Back to the Curve Supply, Demand, and the Invisible Hand ...
- Supply, Demand, and the Invisible Hand: Demand Change! - Supply, Demand, and the Invisible Hand Demand Change! Supply, Demand, and the Invisible Hand ...
24 X 7
||24 x 7 Tutor Availability
||Unlimited Online Tutoring