or Erin is Celtic; from Eri or Iar (western).
Lloyd (State Worthies, article “Grandison”), with a gravity
which cannot but excite laughter, says the island is called the land
of Ire because of the broils there, which have extended over four
hundred years. Wormius derives the word from the Runic Yr, a
bow. (See below.)
Called by the natives “Erin,” i.e. Eri-innis, or Iar-innis (west island). By the Welsh “Yver-den” (west valley).
By Apuleius, “Hibernia,” which is Iernia, a corruption of Iar-inni-a. By Juvenal (ii. 260) “Juverna” or “Juberna,” the same as Ierna or Iernia. By Claudian “Ouernia,” the same.
By moderns “Ireland,” which is Iar-en-land (land of the
The three great saints of Ireland
are St. Patrick, St. Columba, and St. Bridget. The fair maid of Ireland. Ignis fatuus (q.v.).
“He had read in former times of a Going Fire, called `Ignis Fatuus,'
the fire of destiny; by some, `Will with the Wisp,' or `Jack with the
Lantern;' and likewise, by some simple country people. `The Fair Maid
of Ireland,' which used to lead wandering traveliers out of their way.”
—The Seven Champions of Christendom, i. 7.
The three tragic stories of the Irish.
(1) The death of the children of Touran; (2) the death of the
children of Lir; (3) the death of the children of Usnach.
(O'Flanagan: Transactions of the Gaelic Society of Dublin, vol. i.)
Dean Ireland's scholarships.
Four scholarships of 30 a year in the University of Oxford, founded
by Dr. John Ireland, Dean of Westminster, in 1825, for Latin and Greek.
They are tenable for four years.
The same person founded an “Exegetical Professorship” of 800 a year.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Ireland from Fact Monster:
- Church of Ireland - Ireland, Church of Ireland, Church of, Anglican church of both the Republic of Ireland and Northern ...
- National University of Ireland - Ireland, National University of Ireland, National University of, founded 1908 to provide higher ...
- Kathy Ireland - Kathy Ireland model, actress Born: 3/20/1963 Birthplace: Glendale, California Like many of ...
- Jill Ireland - Jill Ireland actress, producer, writer Born: 4/24/1936 Birthplace: London, England Jill Ireland ...
- John Ireland, English composer - Ireland, John Ireland, John, 1879–1962, English composer. Inspired by visits to the Channel ...