The impersonation of Ireland whose inheritance was withheld by
the tyrant Grantorto. Sir Artegal (Justice is sent by the Faërie
Queene to succour the distressed lady. Grantorto, or the rebellion of
1580, being slain, she is restored to her throne and reigns in peace. (Spenser: Faërie Queene, v.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Irena from Fact Monster:
- Archery - Archery Class Men John William, USA 2528 Gunnar Jarvil, SWE 2481 Kyösti Laasonen, FIN 2467 ...
- Leading Medal Winners - Leading Medal Winners Number of individual medals won on the left; gold, silver and bronze ...
- Track & Field - Track & Field Men Event Time 100m Bob Hayes, USA 10.0 =WR Enrique Figuerola, CUB 10.2 Harry ...
- Anna Paquin - Biography of Anna Paquin, Sookie in the HBO vampire series True Blood
- Track & Field - Track & Field Men Event Time 100m Jim Hines, USA 9.95 WR Lennox Miller, JAM 10.0 Charile Greene ...