Goddess of the rainbow, or the rainbow itself. In classic
mythology she is called the messenger of the gods when they intended discord, and the rainbow is the bridge or road let down from heaven
for her accommodation. When the gods meant peace they sent
Mercury. (Greek and Latin, iris.)
“I'll have an Iris that shall find thee out.”
Shakespeare: 2 Henry VI., iii. 2.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Iris from Fact Monster:
- Yeşil Irmak - Yeşil Irmak Yeşil Irmak , anc. Iris, river, c.260 mi (418 km) long, rising NE of Sivas, ...
- Iri - Iri Iri , former city, North Jeolla (Cholla) prov., SW South Korea. An agricultural center and ...
- Dame Iris Murdoch - Murdoch, Dame Iris Murdoch, Dame Iris (Dame Jean Iris Murdoch), 1919–99, British novelist and ...
- iris, in anatomy - iris: iris: see eye.
- Iris, river, Turkey - Iris Iris, river: see Yeşil Irmak.