(The). The railway locomotive.
“We can now drive the iron horse from India down the valley of the
Irrawaddy, and (vid Moulmein) to the very gates of China,
without any political impediment.” —Mr. Hallet, Dec., 1885.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Iron Horse from Fact Monster:
- Samuel HUNTINGTON - HUNTINGTON, Samuel (1731—1796) HUNTINGTON, Samuel, a Delegate from Connecticut; born in ...
- Lou Gehrig - Biography of Lou Gehrig, "The Iron Horse" a New York Yankee hero
- John Ford, American film director - Ford, John Ford, John, 1895–1973, American film director, b. Cape Elizabeth, Maine, as John ...
- Lou Gehrig - Gehrig, Lou Gehrig, Lou (Louis Gehrig), 1903–41, American baseball player, b. New York City. ...
- Nina Simone - Biography of Nina Simone, Eclectic singer of "I Loves You Porgy" and "Mississippi Goddam"