called She-wolf of France. The adulterous queen of
Edward II., daughter of Philippe IV. (le Bel) of France.
According to tradition, she murdered her royal husband by thrusting a
hot iron into his bowels.
Mark the year and mark the night
When Severn shall re-echo with affright
The shrieks of death through Berkley's roofs that ring.
Shrieks of an agonising king.
She-wolf of France, with unrelenting fangs,
That tearst the bowels of thy mangled mate!
Gray: The Bard.
Isabel. The Spanish form of Elizabeth. The French form is Isabelle.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Isabel from Fact Monster:
- Isabel - Isabel Isabel, 1846–1921, princess imperial of Brazil; eldest daughter of Pedro II. She acted ...
- Malabo - Malabo Malabo , city (1997 est. pop. 50,000), capital of Equatorial Guinea, on Bioko island, in the ...
- August 2 Birthdays: Isabel Allende - August 2 birthdays: Isabel Allende, Peter O'Toole, Carroll O'Connor, Elisha Gray, John Sloan, James Baldwin, Pierre Charles L'Enfant, Myrna Loy
- Margaret Isabel (Postgate) Cole - Cole, Margaret Isabel (Postgate): Cole, Margaret Isabel (Postgate): see Cole, George Douglas Howard.
- Isabel's Jigsaw Puzzle: Beacon Street Girls - Beacon Street Girls Isabel's Jigsaw Puzzle Copyright © Beacon Street Girls. All rights ...