(2 syl.) A jaundiced eye. A prejudiced eye which sees
“faults that are not.” It was a popular belief among the Romans that to
the eye of a person who had the jaundice everything looked of a yellow
(French, jaune, yellow.)
All seems infected that thinfected spy,
As all seems yellow to the jaundiced eye.
Pope: Essay on Criticism.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Jaundice from Fact Monster:
- jaundice - jaundice jaundice , abnormal condition in which the body fluids and tissues, particularly the skin ...
- What does it mean? - jaundice --Listen to the pronunciation: WAV format or AU format A sign of the disease known as ...
- malaria: Symptoms - Symptoms At the onset of malaria, bouts of chills (ague) and fever lasting several hours and ...
- anaplasmosis - anaplasmosis anaplasmosis , infectious blood disease in cattle, sheep, and goats, caused by a ...
- ramontchi - ramontchi ramontchi, small tree or shrub (Flacourtia indica) belonging to the family ...