Words of complaint; wrangling, abuse, jabber. “To jaw,” to
annoy with words, to jabber, wrangle, or abuse. The French gueule and gueuler are used in the same manner.
Hold your jaw.
Hold your tongue or jabber. What are you jawing about?
are you jabbering or wrangling about? A break-jaw word.
long word, or one hard to pronounce.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Jaw from Fact Monster:
- lumpy jaw - lumpy jaw lumpy jaw, infectious disease of cattle and swine caused by the bacterium Actinomyces ...
- Sharks - Myths and statistics about the oceans' most fearsome creature
- Jaws - Starring Roy Scheider, Robert Shaw, Richard Dreyfuss, Lorraine Gary, Murray Hamilton
- Moose Jaw - Moose Jaw Moose Jaw, city (1991 pop. 33,593), S central Sask., Canada. It is a railroad and ...
- micrometer - micrometer micrometer . 1. Instrument used for measuring extremely small distances. Typical ...