The spinning jenny means the little spinning engine. The word
is a corrupt diminutive, ginie. It is an error to derive the word from
the inventor's wife or daughter, seeing his wife's name was Elizabeth,
and he had no daughter.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Jenny from Fact Monster:
- jenny - jenny: jenny: see ass.
- Jennys - Jennys Jennys, family of American painters, fl. 1770–1810. Little is known of the Jennys ...
- Jennie Garth - Jennie Garth actress Born: 4/3/1972 Birthplace: Urbana, Illinois Actress who plays Kelly Taylor in ...
- ass - ass ass, hoofed, herbivorous mammal of the genus Equus, closely related to the horse. It is ...
- Jennie June - June, Jennie: June, Jennie: see Croly, Jane Cunningham.