(3 syl.). Hazard, danger Tyrwhitt says it is the French jeu
part and Froissart uses the phrase, “Si nous les voyons à jeu
parti ” (vol. i. c. 234). Jeu parti is a game where the chances are
exactly balanced, hence a critical state.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Jeopardy from Fact Monster:
- jeopardy - jeopardy jeopardy, in law, condition of a person charged with a crime and thus in danger of ...
- double jeopardy - double jeopardy: double jeopardy: see jeopardy.
- Art Fleming - Biography of Art Fleming, Host of TV's Jeopardy!
- Alex Trebek - Biography of Alex Trebek, Host of the TV quiz show Jeopardy!
- 'Weird Al' Yankovic - Biography of 'Weird Al' Yankovic, Singer of "I Lost on Jeopardy" and other parody tunes