At one time used in law pleadings for an hypothetical
plaintiff; the supposititious defendant being “Richard Roe.” These
fictions are not now used.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on John Doe from Fact Monster:
- Generic People - Generic People A generic person is the name for a type of person, not a real one. These names are ...
- Last Supper - Last Supper Last Supper, in the New Testament, meal taken by Jesus and his disciples on the eve of ...
- Gary Cooper - Biography of Gary Cooper, Tall, laconic star of High Noon
- Barbara Stanwyck - Biography of Barbara Stanwyck, Savvy, no-nonsense leading lady of the silver screen
- Kevin Spacey - Biography of Kevin Spacey, Oscar-winning star of American Beauty