The crest of this family is a winged spur. or spur
between two wings, leathered, with the motto. “Nunquam non
paratus.” When King Edward I. was meditating treachery in favour of
Balliol, Johnstone sent to Bruce (then in England) a spur with a
feather tied to it. Bruce took the hint and fled, and when he became
king conferred the crest on the Johnstone family.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Johnstone from Fact Monster:
- Johnston Atoll - Information on Johnston Atoll — geography, history, politics, government, economy, population statistics, culture, religion, languages, largest cities.
- Gabriel Johnston - Johnston, Gabriel Johnston, Gabriel, 1699–1752, colonial governor of North Carolina ...
- Mary Johnston - Johnston, Mary Johnston, Mary, 1870–1936, American novelist, b. Buchanan, Va. Her books ...
- Sir Harry Hamilton Johnston - Johnston, Sir Harry Hamilton Johnston, Sir Harry Hamilton, 1858–1927, British explorer and ...
- Richard Malcolm Johnston - Johnston, Richard Malcolm Johnston, Richard Malcolm, 1822–98, American author, b. Hancock ...