The house-god of the Chinese; every family has its joss. A
temple is called a joss-house.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Joss from Fact Monster:
- Josse Bade - Bade, Josse: Bade, Josse: see Badius, Jodocus.
- Jodocus Badius - Badius, Jodocus Badius, Jodocus , 1462–1535, French printer, b. Asche, near Brussels. His ...
- Eliza Dushku - Biography of Eliza Dushku, Faith on TV's Buffy the Vampire Slayer
- sandalwood - sandalwood sandalwood, name for several fragrant tropical woods, especially for Santalum album, an ...
- Nathan Fillion - Biography of Nathan Fillion, Captain Mal Reynolds from the TV show Firefly