Vous étes orfèvrs, Monsieur Jossc (You are a jeweller, Mr.
Josse). Nothing like leather; great is Diana of the Ephesians; your
advice is not disinterested. In Molière's comedy of L'Amour Médecin,
a silversmith, by the name of Josse, being asked the best way of curing
a lady pining from love, recommends a handsome present of jewellery.
The father replies, “You advise me like a jeweller, Mr. Josse.”
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Josse from Fact Monster:
- Joss Whedon - Biography of Joss Whedon, The guy behind Buffy the Vampire Slayer
- Jodocus Badius - Badius, Jodocus Badius, Jodocus , 1462–1535, French printer, b. Asche, near Brussels. His ...
- Eliza Dushku - Biography of Eliza Dushku, Faith on TV's Buffy the Vampire Slayer
- sandalwood - sandalwood sandalwood, name for several fragrant tropical woods, especially for Santalum album, an ...
- Nathan Fillion - Biography of Nathan Fillion, Captain Mal Reynolds from the TV show Firefly