in Dryden's satire of Absalom and Achitophel, means
Saville, Marquis of Halifax. Jotham was the person who uttered the
parable of The Trees Choosing a King when the men of Shechem
king. (Judges ix.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Jotham from Fact Monster:
- Jotham - Jotham Jotham , in the Bible. 1. The only one of Gideon's sons not killed by Abimelech; noted ...
- Joatham - Joatham Joatham : see Jotham.
- Jerusha - Jerusha Jerusha or Jerushah, in the Bible, mother of King Jotham of Judah.
- Zadok - Zadok Zadok , in the Bible. 1. Founder of a prominent priestly family. 2. One of David's men. ...
- Uzziah - Uzziah Uzziah , in the Bible, king of Judah, son and successor of Amaziah. He rebuilt Elath, port ...