(Arabic, kabah, a square house). A shrine of Mecca, said
to have been built by Abraham on the spot where Adam first worshipped
after his expulsion from Paradise. In the north-east corner is a stone
seven inches long, said to be a ruby sent down from heaven. It is now
black, from being kissed so often by sinful man. (See Adam's
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Kaaba from Fact Monster:
- Kaaba - Kaaba Kaaba or Caaba[Arab.,=cube], the central, cubic, stone structure, covered by a black cloth, ...
- Caaba - Caaba: Caaba: see Kaaba.
- Kuraish - Kuraish Kuraish , ancient Bedouin tribe near Mecca to which Muhammad belonged. At one time camel ...
- Muallaqat - Muallaqat Muallaqat , Pre-Islamic Arabic anthology compiled by the scholar Hammad al Rawiya (d. ...
- Hagar - Hagar Hagar or Agar, according to the Book of Genesis, servant of Abraham's wife Sarah and ...