[Scripturists ]. A Jewish sect that adhered to the
letter of the Scriptures, rejecting all oral traditions. They abhorred
the Talmud, and observed the Sabbath with more rigour than even the
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Karaites from Fact Monster:
- Karaites - Karaites Karaites or Caraites, Jewish schismatic sect, reputedly founded (8th cent.) in Persia by ...
- Caraites - Caraites: Caraites: see Karaites.
- Ananites - Ananites: Ananites: see Anan ben David; Karaites.
- Chufut-Kale - Chufut-Kale Chufut-Kale [Turk.,=Jews' city], ruined fortress and town, W Ukraine, in the ...
- Anan ben David - Anan ben David Anan ben David , fl. 8th cent., Babylonian Jewish theologian, founder of the ...