A staff of men employed by Irish landlords in 1843, etc., to watch
the crops and prevent their being smuggled off during the night. They
were resisted by the Molly Maguires.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Keepers from Fact Monster:
- Maxwell, William Keepers, Jr. - Maxwell, William Keepers, Jr. Maxwell, William Keepers, Jr., 1908–2000, American novelist, ...
- The Keeper: The Legend of Omar Khayyam - Starring Moritz Bleibtreu, Adam Echahly, Marie Espinosa, Bruno Lastra, Vanessa Redgrave
- Obil - Obil Obil , in the Bible, keeper of David's camels. He was an Ishmaelite.
- Joah - Joah Joah , in the Bible. 1,. 2. Keepers of records. 3. Korahite doorkeeper.
- Zookeeper - Zookeeper What is this job like? Many people like animals, but taking care of them is hard work. ...