(U.S. America), so called in 1782, from its principal river. It
was admitted into the union in 1792. The nickname of the inhabitants is Corncrackers. Indian Shawnoese Kentuckee = “head or long river.”
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Kentucky from Fact Monster:
- University of Kentucky - Kentucky, University of Kentucky, University of, mainly at Lexington; coeducational; land-grant and ...
- Kentucky, river, United States - Kentucky Kentucky, river, 259 mi (417 km) long, formed by the junction of the North Fork and the ...
- Kentucky - Map of Kentucky & articles on flags, geography, history, statistics, disasters, and current events.
- Kentucky - Information on Kentucky — economy, government, culture, state map and flag, major cities, points of interest, famous residents, state motto, symbols, nicknames, and other trivia.
- Frankfort - Frankfort Frankfort, city (1990 pop. 25,968), state capital and seat of Franklin co., N central ...