A corruption of the Japanese. Kitjap, a condiment
sometimes sold as soy, but not equal to it.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Ketchup from Fact Monster:
- Asian Loan Words in English - Asian loan words in English
- H. J. Heinz - H. J. Heinz (Henry John Heinz) food manufacturer Born: 1844 Birthplace: Pittsburgh, Pa. He began ...
- National Hot Dog Month - Hot Dog History In honor of National Hot Dog Month, some answers to those dogging questions by Mike ...
- Teresa Heinz Kerry - Biography of Teresa Heinz Kerry, Wife of U.S. Senator John Kerry
- Fourth of July by the Numbers - Find census information about Fourth of July statistics, including the nation's population, the number of cookouts nationwide, the number of hot dogs and hamburgers consumed, the cost of fireworks, and more.