(A). The slaying of some animal, generally a bullock, tied up
by hunters in a jungle, to allure to the spot and attract the attention
of some wild beast (such as a lion, tiger, or panther) preparatory to a
hunting party being arranged. As a tiger-kill, a panther-kill.
“A shikarie brought us the welcome tidings of a tiger-kill only a
mile and a half from the camp. The next day there was no hunt, as the
ground round the panther-kill was too unfavourable to permit of any
hunting.” —Nineteenth Century, August, 1886.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Kill from Fact Monster:
- Plants that Kill - Plants that Kill —By Arden Dore Have you ever heard the saying “Don’t judge a ...
- Killingly - Killingly Killingly , town (1990 pop. 15,889), Windham co., NE Conn., on the Quinebaug River and ...
- mercy killing - mercy killing: mercy killing: see euthanasia.
- A View to a Kill - Starring Roger Moore, Christopher Walken, Tanya Roberts, Grace Jones, Patrick Macnee
- Who is Killing the Great Chefs of Europe - Starring George Segal, Robert Morley, Jacqueline Bisset, Jean-Pierre Cassel, Philippe Noiret