or, with the article, Al-Korân [the Reading]. The
religious, social, civil, commercial, military, and legal code of
Islam. It is rather remarkable that we call our Bible the writing (Scripture), but the Arabs call
their Bible the reading (Korán). We are told to believe that
portions of this book were communicated to the prophet at Mecca and
Medina by the angel Gabriel, with the sound of bells.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Koran from Fact Monster:
- Qur'an - Qur'an Qur'an or Koran[Arab.,=reading, recitation], the sacred book of Islam. Revealed by ...
- Koran - Koran: Koran: see Qur'an.
- Islam Primer - Islamic beliefs, history, and culture
- Islamic Holidays (Ramadan, Muharram, Mawlid al-Nabi, and more) - Read about the Major Islamic holidays for Muslims around the world.
- al- Shafi'i - Shafi'i, al- Shafi'i, al- (Abu Abdullah Muhammad ibn Idris al-Shafi'i), 767–820, ...