(Queen). The Circe of the Arabians, who, by her
enchantments, transformed men into horses and other brute beasts. She
is introduced into the Arabian Nights' Entertainments, where
Beder, Prince of Persia, marries her, defeats her plots against him,
and turns her into a mare. Being restored to her proper shape by her
mother, she turns Beder into an owl; but the prince ultimately regains
his own proper form.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Labe from Fact Monster:
- Labé - Labé Labé , town (1996 pop. 249,515), W central Guinea, in the Fouta Djallon. It is ...
- Elbe - Elbe Elbe , Czech Labe, a major river of central Europe, c.725 mi (1,170 km) long, rising in the ...
- Louise Labé - Labé, Louise Labé, Louise , c.1520–1566, French poet. She was an active member ...
- Labe - Labe Labe, river: see Elbe.
- Kolín - Kolín Kolín , city (1991 pop. 31,595), central Czech Republic, in Bohemia, on the ...