Tea or coffee laced with spirits, a cup of tea or coffee
qualified with brandy or whisky.
“Deacon Bearcliff ... had his pipe, and his teacup ... laced with a
little spirits.” —Sir W. Scott: Guy Mannering, chap. xi.
“Dandie ... partook of a cup of tea with Mrs. Allan, just laced with
two teaspoonfuls of cogniac.”- Ditto, chap. iii.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Laced from Fact Monster:
- lace - lace lace, patterned openwork fabric made by plaiting, knotting, looping, or twisting. The finest ...
- lace: Varieties of Lace - Varieties of Lace Laces, often named for their location of origination, are of many types. ...
- lace: Evolution of Lace Making - Evolution of Lace Making Lace was developed prior to the 16th cent. from the drawn work, cutwork, ...
- lace: Bibliography - Bibliography See E. Reigate, An Illustrated Guide to Lace (1986).
- Queen Anne's lace - Queen Anne's lace Queen Anne's lace or wild carrot,herb (Daucus carota) of the family ...