See how the land lies. See what we have to do; see in what
state matters are. See in what state the land is that we have to travel
or pass over, or in what direction we must go. Joshua sent spies (ii.
1) “to view the land” before he attempted to pass the Jordan.
“Put your blankets down there, boys, and turn in. You'll see how the
land lies in the morning.” —Boldrewood: Robbery under Arms, ch.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Land from Fact Monster:
- land - land land, in law, any ground, soil, or earth regarded as the subject of ownership, including ...
- Landes, department, France - Landes Landes, department (1990 pop. 313,100), SW France, in Gascony, on the Atlantic coast. ...
- Landes, region, France - Landes Landes , region, SW France. It is a vast, flat, nearly triangular tract of sand and ...
- land use - land use land use, exploitation of land for agricultural, industrial, residential, recreational, or ...
- land tax - land tax land tax, impost levied upon real property. It is sometimes called a real estate tax, ...
24 X 7
||24 x 7 Tutor Availability
||Unlimited Online Tutoring