The name assumed by Lord Conrad, the Corsair, after the death
of Medora. He returned to his native land, and was one day recognised
by Sir Ezzelin at the table of Lord Otho. Ezzelin charged him home, and
a duel was arranged for the day following; but Ezzelin was never heard
of more. In time Lara headed a rebellion, and was shot by Lord Otho,
the leader of the other party. (Byron: Lara.) (See Conrad.)
The seven infants of Lara.
Gonzales Gustios de Salas de Lara, a Castilian hero of the eleventh
century, had seven sons. His brother, Rodrigo Velasquez, married a
Moorish lady, and these seven nephews were invited to the feast. A fray
took place in which one of the seven slew a Moor, and the bride
demanded vengeance. Rodrigo, to please his bride, waylaid his brother
Gonzales, and kept him in durance in a dungeon of Cordova, and the
seven boys were betrayed into a ravine, where they were cruelly
murdered. While in the dungeon, Zaida, daughter of the Moorish king,
fell in love with Gonzales, and became the mother of Mudarra, who
avenged the death of Lara's seven sons by slaying Rodrigo.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Lara from Fact Monster:
- José María Velasco Ibarra - Velasco Ibarra, José María Velasco Ibarra, José María , ...
- Barquisimeto - Barquisimeto Barquisimeto , city (1990 pop. 625,450), capital of Lara state, NW Venezuela, on the ...
- Top Video Game Heroines - Top five female video game characters from Lara Croft to Jill Valentine.
- Angelina Jolie - Angelina Jolie actress Born: 6/4/1975 Birthplace: Los Angeles The Academy Award-winning actress ...
- Weightlifting - Weightlifting Event Flyweight (–119 lbs) Halil Mutlu, TUR Zhang Xiangsen, CHN Sevdalin ...
24 X 7
||24 x 7 Tutor Availability
||Unlimited Online Tutoring