The overking of the ancient Etruscans, like the Welsh
“pendragon.” A satrap, or under-king, was a lucumo. Thus the
king of Prussia is the German lars, and the king of Bavaria is a lucumo.
There be thirty chosen prophets,
The wisest of the land,
Who always by Lars Porsena,
Both morn and evening stand.
Macauldy: Lays of Ancient Rome, (Horatius, ix.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Lars from Fact Monster:
- Lasse Hallström - Lasse Hallström (Lars Hallström) director, screenwriter, producer Born: 6/6/1946 ...
- Metallica - Metallica rock group One of the most commercially successful metal bands of the 1980s and 1990s, ...
- Modern Pentathlon - Modern Pentathlon Event Individual Lars Hall, SWE 4833 Olavi Nannonen, FIN 4774.5 Väinö ...
- Modern Pentathlon - Modern Pentathlon Event Individual Lars Hall, SWE 32 Gábor Benedek, HUN 39 István ...
- 2006 Winter Extreme Games - 2006 Winter Extreme Games (Aspen, Colo., Jan. 28–31, 2006) Snowboard: Nate Holland (men's ...