Lazy as David Lawrence's dog. Here Lawrence is a corruption of
Larrence, an imaginary being supposed by Scottish peasantry to preside
over the lazy and indolent. Laziness is called “Larrence.” (See and
compare Davy Jones.)
Lazy as Joe,
the marine, who laid down has musket to sneeze.
Lazy as Ludlam's dog,
which leaned has head against
the wall to bark.
This Ludlam was the famous sorceress of Surrey, who lived in a cave
near Farnham, called “Ludlam's Cave.” She kept a dog, noted for its
laziness, so that when the rustics came to consult the witch, it would
hardly condescend to give notice of their approach, even with the ghost
of a bark. (Ray: Proverbs.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Lazy from Fact Monster:
- What does it mean? - indolent --Listen to the pronunciation: WAV format or AU format Which book sounds like it’s ...
- What does it mean? - languid --Listen to the pronunciation: WAV format or AU format Someone who feels languid all the ...
- What does it mean? indolent - indolent -- Listen to the pronunciation: WAV format or AU format After he watched the woman slowly ...
- Andy Samberg - Biography of Andy Samberg, The mop-haired SNL actor who did the "Lazy Sunday" video
- Pet FAQs - Pet FAQs Why You Should Spay or Neuter Your Pet Every day in the United States thousands upon ...