(A). A book “laid up” in the counting-house, and
containing the debits and credits of the merchant or tradesman,
arranged under “heads.” (Dutch legen, to lay, whence legger.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Ledger from Fact Monster:
- Heath Ledger - Biography of Heath Ledger, The Brokeback Mountain star who died at age 28
- George William Childs - George William Childs publisher, philanthropist Born: 1829 Birthplace: Baltimore, Md. Having begun ...
- Mary-Kate Olsen - Biography of Mary-Kate Olsen, The younger of the famous Olsen Twins
- Cyrus Hermann Kotzschmar Curtis - Curtis, Cyrus Hermann Kotzschmar Curtis, Cyrus Hermann Kotzschmar, 1850–1933, American ...
- Samuel Irving Newhouse - Newhouse, Samuel Irving Newhouse, Samuel Irving, 1895–1979, American newspaper and magazine ...