(3 syl.). The spirits of the dead. Good lemures were called Lares,
but bad ones Larvae, spectres who wandered about at night-time to
terrify the living. (Ovid. Fasti, v.)
“The lars and lemures moan with midnight plaint.” Milton: Ode on
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Lemures from Fact Monster:
- lemur - lemur lemur , name for prosimians, or lower primates, of two related families, found only on ...
- flying lemur - flying lemur flying lemur, gliding mammal native to the tropical lowland forests of S Asia, Malaya, ...
- lemures - lemures lemures , in Roman religion, vampirelike ghosts of the dead; also called larvae. To ...
- indri - indri: indri: see lemur.
- Larvae, in Roman religion - Larvae: Larvae: see lemures.