(Anglo-Saxon, leóde) simply means folk in general, verb leod-an. The present meaning refers to the celibacy of the clergy.
“All that a lewd man bath need to knawe for hele of sowl.” —Caxton Society's Publications.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Lewd from Fact Monster:
- Larry Craig - Biography of Larry Craig, The Idaho senator who was arrested for lewd conduct in 2007
- Tom Green - Biography of Tom Green, Host of TV's Tom Green Show
- Sexual Harassment - Sexual Harassment In a 1992 survey of girls in grades 2 through 12, 89% of the respondents said ...
- George Michael - Biography of George Michael, Singer of "Careless Whisper" and "Faith"
- Paula Poundstone - Biography of Paula Poundstone, The stand-up comedian who was accused of child endangerment