A thief. We still call one who plunders shops a “shop-lifter.”
“Is he so young a man, and so old a lifter?” Shakespeare: Troilus
and Cressida, i.2.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Lifter from Fact Monster:
- weight lifting - weight lifting weight lifting, international sport, also a training technique for athletes in other ...
- Olympic Preview: Weightlifting - 2008 Summer Olympics weightlifting
- Tommy Kono - Tommy Kono Born: June 27, 1930 weight lifter won 2 olympic gold medals for U.S. (1952,56) and 1 ...
- Passenger Planes: Boeing 747 - They've flown more than 3.5 billion passengers, the equivalent of more than half the world's population
- WALL-E - Starring Fred Willard, Jeff Garlin, Sigourney Weaver, John Ratzenberger, Kathy Najimy