The larger part: all or nearly all: In Æsop's; Fables, several beasts joined the lion in a hunt; but, when the spoil was
divided, the lion claimed one quarter in right of his prerogative, one
for his superior courage, one for his dam and cubs, “and as for the
fourth, let who will dispute it with me.” Awed by his frown, the other
beasts yielded and silently withdrew. (See Montgomery.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Lion's Share from Fact Monster:
- Louis Burt Mayer - Mayer, Louis Burt Mayer, Louis Burt, 1885–1957, American movie producer, b. Russia. Mayer ...
- Philo T. Farnsworth - Biography of Philo T. Farnsworth, Inventor of the all-electronic television
- Macedonia, region, Europe: History - History Early History through Ottoman Rule Like neighboring Thrace and Epirus, Macedonia has been, ...
- Bangladesh - Information on Bangladesh — geography, history, politics, government, economy, population statistics, culture, religion, languages, largest cities, as well as a map and the national flag.
- Portugal - Learn about the history, geography and culture of Portugal and find statistical and demographic information.|Information on Portugal — geography, history, politics, government, economy, population statistics, culture, religion, languages, largest cities, as well as a map and the national flag.