A corruption of' Ulyssippo (Ulysses' polis or city). Said by
some to have been founded by Lusus, who visited Portugal with Ulysses,
whence “Lusitania” (q.v.); and by others to have been founded by
Ulysses himself This is Camoens' version. (See above.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Lisbon from Fact Monster:
- Lisbon - Lisbon Lisbon , Port. Lisboa, ancient Olisipo, city (1991 pop. 677,790), W Portugal, capital of ...
- Portugal - Learn about the history, geography and culture of Portugal and find statistical and demographic information.|Information on Portugal — geography, history, politics, government, economy, population statistics, culture, religion, languages, largest cities, as well as a map and the national flag.
- Olisipo - Olisipo: Olisipo: see Lisbon, Portugal.
- Aníbal António Cavaco Silva - Cavaco Silva, Aníbal António Cavaco Silva, Aníbal António , ...
- 1700–1799 (A.D.) World History - 1700–1799 (A.D.) World History Benjamin Franklin (1706–1790) Frederick the Great ...