The vein that leads or guides to ore. A dead lode is one
A ditch that guides or leads water into a river or sewer.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Lode from Fact Monster:
- ore - ore ore, metal-bearing mineral mass that can be profitably mined. Nearly all rock deposits contain ...
- Mother Lode - Mother Lode Mother Lode, belt of gold-bearing quartz veins, central Calif., along the western ...
- Comstock Lode - Comstock Lode Comstock Lode, richest known U.S. silver deposit, W Nevada, on Mt. Davidson in the ...
- lode - lode lode, deposit of ore.
- Nevada - Information on Nevada — economy, government, culture, state map and flag, major cities, points of interest, famous residents, state motto, symbols, nicknames, and other trivia.