or Loadstone. The magnet or stone that guides.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Lodestone from Fact Monster:
- magnetite - magnetite magnetite , lustrous black, magnetic mineral, Fe3O4. It occurs in crystals of the cubic ...
- lodestone - lodestone: lodestone: see magnetite.
- Petrus Peregrinus - Peregrinus, Petrus Peregrinus, Petrus (Peter the Pilgrim), c.1220–?, medieval scholar and ...
- iron: Natural Occurrence - Natural Occurrence Iron is an abundant element in the universe; it is found in many stars, ...
- William Gilbert - Biography of William Gilbert, The guy who figured out magnetism and electricity