A novel by Benjamin Disraeli (Lord Beaconsfield). The
characters are supposed to represent the following persons-
The Oxford Professor, Goldwin Smith.
Grandison, Cardinal Manning and Wiseman. Lothair, Marquis of Bute.
Catesby, Monseigneur Capel.
The Duke and Duchess, the Duke and Duchess of Abercorn. The Bishop,
Corisande, one of the Ladies Hamilton.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Lothair from Fact Monster:
- Lothair, French king - Lothair Lothair, 941–86, French king (954–86), son and successor of King Louis IV. ...
- Lothair, king of Lotharingia - Lothair Lothair, sometimes called Lothair II,d. 869, king of Lotharingia (855–69), second son ...
- Louis V, king of France - Louis V Louis V (Louis the Sluggard), c.967–987, last French king of the Carolingian dynasty; ...
- Louis II, emperor of the West - Louis II Louis II, d. 875, emperor of the West (855–75), king of Italy (844–75), son of ...
- Louis the German - Louis the German Louis the German, c.804–876, king of the East Franks (817–76). When ...