The Egyptians pictured God sitting on a lote-tree, above the
watery mud. Jamblichus says the leaves and fruit of the lote-tree
being round represent “the motion of intellect;” its towering up
through mud symbolises the eminency of divine intellect over matter;
and the Deity sitting on the lote-tree implies His intellectual
sovereignty. (Myster. Egypt., sec. 7, cap. ii. p. 151.)
Mahomet says that a lote-tree stands in the seventh heaven, on the
right hand of the throne of God. Dryope of OEchalia
was one day
carrying her infant son, when she plucked a lotus flower for his
amusement, and was instantaneously transformed into a lotus.
daughter of Neptune, fleeing from Priapus, was metamorphosed into a
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Lotus from Fact Monster:
- lotus - lotus: lotus: see water lily.
- White Lotus Rebellion - White Lotus Rebellion White Lotus Rebellion, Chinese anti-Manchu uprising that occurred during the ...
- Carl Lotus Becker - Becker, Carl Lotus Becker, Carl Lotus, 1873–1945, American historian, b. Blackhawk co., Iowa. ...
- lotus-eaters - lotus-eaters lotus-eaters or Lotophagi, a fabulous people who occupied the north coast of Africa ...
- Lotophagi - Lotophagi: Lotophagi: see lotus-eaters.