The Times defines a Low Churchman as one “who loves a Jew
and hates the Pope.” We now call a Calvinistic episcopalian one of the
Low Church because he holds “church rituals” and the dogma of
“apostolic succession” in lower esteem than personal grace and faith
in the “blood of the atonement.”
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Low Church from Fact Monster:
- Low Church - Low Church: Low Church: see England, Church of.
- Thomas Tenison - Tenison, Thomas Tenison, Thomas , 1636–1715, English churchman, archbishop of Canterbury ...
- Benjamin Hoadly - Hoadly, Benjamin Hoadly, Benjamin , 1676–1761, English prelate, center of the Bangorian ...
- Samuel Wilberforce - Wilberforce, Samuel Wilberforce, Samuel , 1805–73, English prelate; son of William ...
- Henry Edward Manning: Early Life and Anglican Churchman - Early Life and Anglican Churchman Manning was born of a Low Church family and was educated at ...