The morning star. Venus is both an evening and a morning star:
When she follows the sun, and is an evening star, she is called Hesperus; when she precedes the sun, and appears before
sunrise, she is called Lucifer (the light-bringer).
Proud as Lucifer.
Very haughty and overbearing. Lucifer is the name given by Isaiah
to Nebuchadnezzar, the proud but ruined king of Babylon: “Take up this
proverb against the King of Babylon, and say, ... How art thou fallen,
from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning!” (Isa. XIV. 4, 12). The
poets feign that Satan, before he was driven out of heaven for his
pride, was called Lucifer. Milton, in his Paradise Lost, gives
this name to the demon of “Sinful Pride.”
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Lucifer from Fact Monster:
- Lucifer - Lucifer Lucifer [Lat.,=light-bearing], in Christian tradition a name for Satan. In the Vulgate, ...
- Angels - Angels The angel is a heavenly being, superior to humans, who serves as an attendant and messenger ...
- Saint Meletius - Meletius, Saint Meletius, Saint , d. 381, Catholic bishop, leader of the Meletian faction in the ...
- Serge Lifar - Lifar, Serge Lifar, Serge , 1905–86, Russian dancer, choreographer, director, teacher, and ...
- Satan - Biography of Satan, Evil personified
24 X 7
||24 x 7 Tutor Availability
||Unlimited Online Tutoring