If you don't like it, you may lump it. Whether you like to do
it or not, no matter; it must be done. Here
“lump it” means “to gulp it down,” or swallow unwillingly, to put up
with it unwillingly but of necessity. Thus we say of medicine, “lump it
down,” i.e. gulp it down. (Danish, gulpen, to swallow.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Lump from Fact Monster:
- breast cancer: Early Detection and Prevention - Early Detection and Prevention Monthly breast self-examination and regular mammography are the ...
- METEORS - A meteor, or shooting star, is a streak of light in the sky caused by a piece of dust or rock from space burning up in Earth’s atmosphere. Space rocks
- Jason Finn - Jason Finn musician Drummer and singer who forms the group, The Presidents of the United States of ...
- golem - golem golem [Heb.,=an undeveloped lump], in medieval Jewish legend, an automatonlike servant made ...
- litmus - litmus litmus, organic dye usually used in the laboratory as an indicator of acidity or alkalinity ...