(Tony), in She Stoops to Conquer, by Goldsmith. A
sheepish, mischievous, idle, cunning lout, “with the vices of a man and
the follies of a boy;” fond of low company, but giving himself the airs
of the young squire.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Lumpkin from Fact Monster:
- Alva Moore LUMPKIN - LUMPKIN, Alva Moore (1886—1941) Senate Years of Service: 1941-1941 Party: Democrat LUMPKIN, ...
- - Can't read file georgia/lumpkin-county/default.html
- John Wellborn Root - Root, John Wellborn Root, John Wellborn, 1850–91, American architect, b. Lumpkin, Ga. He ...
- Athens, cities, United States - Athens. Athens. 1. City (1990 pop. 45,734), seat of Clarke co., NE Ga., on the Oconee River, in a ...
- Roger Craft PEACE - PEACE, Roger Craft (1899—1968) Senate Years of Service: 1941-1941 Party: Democrat PEACE, ...