The loadstone; so called from Magnesia, in Lydia, where
the ore was said to abound. The Greeks called it magnes. Milton
uses the adjective for the substantive in the line “As the magnetic
hardest iron draws.”
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Magnet from Fact Monster:
- magnetism - magnetism magnetism, forceof attraction or repulsion between various substances, especially those ...
- electromagnet - electromagnet electromagnet, device in which magnetism is produced by an electric current. Any ...
- pole, in electricity and magnetism - pole pole, in electricity and magnetism, point where electric or magnetic force appears to be ...
- field, in physics - field field, in physics, region throughout which a force may be exerted; examples are the ...
- magnet - magnet: magnet: see electromagnet; magnetism.