(The). The supreme pontiff of the Shiites (2 syl.) Only
twelve of these imaums have really appeared- viz. Ali, Hassan, Hosein,
and the nine lineal descendants of Hosein. Mohammed, the last Mahdi, we
are told, is not really dead, but sleeps in a cavern near Bagdad, and
will return to life in the fulness of time to overthrow Dejal
The Mahdi which has of late been disturbing Egypt is hated by the
Persians, who are Sunnites (2 syl.); but
even the Turks and Persians are looking out for a Mahdi who will
stamp out the “infldels.”
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Mahdi from Fact Monster:
- Mahdi - Mahdi Mahdi [Arab.,=he who is divinely guided], in Sunni Islam, the restorer of the faith. He will ...
- Omdurman - Omdurman Omdurman , Arab. Umm Durman, city (1993 pop. 1,271,403), central Sudan, on the White Nile ...
- Ibn Tumart - Ibn Tumart Ibn Tumart , c.1080–1130, Berber Muslim religious leader, founder of the Almohads. ...
- Berbera - Berbera Berbera , city (1985 est. pop. 67,000), N Somalia, a port on the Gulf of Aden. The city, ...
- Hargeisa - Hargeisa Hargeisa, Hargeysa,or Harghessa, town (1984 est. pop. 70,000), N Somalia. It is a ...