Abstain from mallows. This is the thirty-eighth symbol in the
Protreptics. Pythagoras tells us that mallow was the first messenger
sent by the gods to earth to indicate to man that they sympathised with
them and had pity on them. To make food of mallows would be to
dishonour the gods. Mallows are cathartic.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Mallows from Fact Monster:
- mallow - mallow mallow, common name for members of the Malvaceae, a family of herbs and shrubs distributed ...
- marsh mallow - marsh mallow marsh mallow and marshmallow:see mallow.
- okra - okra: okra: see mallow.
- hibiscus - hibiscus: hibiscus: see mallow.
- hollyhock - hollyhock: hollyhock: see mallow.