(French). Aimer mieux la manche que le bras. Cupboard
love. Manche is a slang word; a gratuity given to a cicerone cabman, or
porter. It is the Italian buona mancia.
Jeter le manche apres la cognée.
To throw the helve after the hatchet. To abandon what may be
useful, out of caprice, because a part of what you expected has not
been realised. A horse is stolen, and the man, in
ill-temper, throws away saddle and bridle.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Manche from Fact Monster:
- Manche - Manche Manche , department (1990 pop. 480,900), NW France, in Normandy, on the English Channel. ...
- English Channel - English Channel English Channel, Fr. La Manche [the sleeve], arm of the Atlantic Ocean, c.350 (560 ...
- Cotentin - Cotentin Cotentin , region of N France, in Normandy, roughly coinciding with the peninsula formed ...
- Saint-Lô - Saint-Lô Saint-Lô , town (1990 pop. 22,819), capital of Manche dept., NW France, in ...
- Avranches - Avranches Avranches , town (1993 est. pop. 9,520), Manche dept., NW France, in Normandy, on the ...
24 X 7
||24 x 7 Tutor Availability
||Unlimited Online Tutoring