(Exodus xvi. 15), popularly said to be a corrupt form of man-hu (What is this?) The marginal reading gives- “When the
children of Israel saw it [the small round thing like hoarfrost on the
ground], they said to one another, What is this? for they wist not what
“And the house of Israel called the name thereof manna. It was like
coriander seed, white; and the taste of it was like wafers made with
honey.” (Verse 31.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Manna from Fact Monster:
- manna - manna manna , in the Bible, edible substance provided by God for the people of Israel in the ...
- tamarisk - tamarisk tamarisk , shrub or small tree of the genus Tamarix, native chiefly to the Mediterranean ...
- ash, in botany - ash ash, in botany, any plant of the genus Fraxinus of the family Oleaceae (olive family), trees ...
- lichen - lichen lichen , usually slow-growing organism of simple structure, composed of fungi (see Fungi) ...
- Guido Reni - Reni, Guido Reni, Guido , 1575–1642, Italian painter and engraver, b. Bologna. As a child he ...