(2 syl.). Empty bottles. The marines were at one time looked
down upon by the regular seamen, who considered them useless, like
empty bottles. A marine officer was once dining at a mess-table, when
the Duke of York said to the man in waiting, “Here, take away these
marines.” The officer demanded an explanation, when the duke replied,
“They have done their duty, and are prepared to do it again.”
Tell that to the marines.
Tell that to greenhorns, and not to men who know better. Marines
are supposed by sailors to be so green that they will swallow the most
“Tell that to the marines, the sailors won't believe it.” —Sir W. Scott: Redgauntlet, chap. xiii.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Marines from Fact Monster:
- Cheech Marin - Cheech Marin (Richard Marin) actor, comedian Born: 7/13/1946 Birthplace: Los Angeles In 1969 Marin ...
- John Marin - Marin, John Marin, John , 1870–1953, American landscape painter, b. Rutherford, N.J. After a ...
- United States Marine Corps - Marine Corps, United States Marine Corps, United States, military corps that forms a separate ...
- Marine Debris in the United States - Plastic bags and bottles, cans, straws, and other debris continue to contaminate our water and threaten marine life.|Plastic bags and bottles, cans, straws, and other debris continue to contaminate our water and threaten marine life
- Luis Muñoz Marín - Muñoz Marín, Luis Muñoz Marín, Luis , 1898–1980, Puerto Rican ...
24 X 7
||24 x 7 Tutor Availability
||Unlimited Online Tutoring