(Scotch) a mate, companion, friend. “Not marrow”- that is, not
a pair. The Latin word medulla (marrow) is used in much the same
way as “mihi hæres in medullis” (Cicero); (very dear, my best
Busk ye, busk ye, my bonnie bonnie bride,
Busk ye, busk ye, my winsome marrow.
The Braes of Yarrow.
“One glove [or shoe] is not marrow to the other.”
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Marrow from Fact Monster:
- bone marrow - bone marrow bone marrow, soft tissue filling the spongy interiors of animal bones. Red marrow is ...
- Ice-T - Ice-T (Tracy Marrow) rap musician, actor Born: 2/16/1958 Birthplace: Newark, New Jersey Ice-T's ...
- vegetable marrow - vegetable marrow: vegetable marrow: see gourd; pumpkin.
- pumpkin - pumpkin pumpkin, common name for the genus Cucurbita of the family Cucurbitaceae (gourd family), a ...
- Your Body's Systems - Systems of the body including circulatory, digestive, endocrine, immune, lymphatic, muscular, nervous, reproductive, respiratory, skeletal, and urinary.