means an ostler or groom. His original duty was to feed, groom,
shoe, and physic his master's horse. (British, marc, a mare; scalc, a servant.)
Blucher; so called for his dash and readiness in the campaign of
1813. Marshal of the Army of God, and of Holy Church
. The Baron
Robert Fitzwalter, appointed by his brother barons to lead their forces
in 1215 to obtain from King John redress of grievances. Magna Charta
was the result.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Marshal from Fact Monster:
- Alfred Marshall - Marshall, Alfred Marshall, Alfred, 1842–1924, English economist. At Cambridge, where he ...
- Garry Marshall - Garry Marshall (Garry Kent Masciarelli) director, screenwriter, producer, actor Born: 11/13/1934 ...
- Jim Marshall - Jim Marshall Born: Dec. 30, 1937 Football longtime Vikings DE and NFL ironman; played in an ...
- Penny Marshall - Penny Marshall (Carole Penelope Masciarelli) director, actress Born: 10/15/1942 Birthplace: Bronx, ...
- Marshall McLuhan - McLuhan, Marshall McLuhan, Marshall (Herbert Marshall McLuhan), 1911–80, Canadian ...